‘Arctic explorer, physician, public official, philanthropist’ Dictionary of Oregon History, Binfords & Mort, 1956
After a reportedly disastrous voyage into the Arctic in search of a ‘northwest passage’ and other exploits of his young adulthood, Dr. Barclay came from Scotland to Fort Vancouver as a Hudson's Bay Company physician in 1840.
In 1850, he and his wife Maria Pambrun Barclay and their seven children moved to Oregon City, where they became prominent in community affairs. Dr. Barclay served variously as mayor of Oregon City, superintendent of schools and the first coroner in Oregon, as well as a physician. Dr. and Mrs. Barclay are now buried in the Mountain View Cemetery in Oregon City.
Their home, built in 1849, remained in the Barclay family until the 1930's, when it was moved up the hill from the waterfront to its present location adjacent to the McLoughlin House. It was added to the National Park System in 2003, along with the McLoughlin House, as a unit of Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.
The Barclay House currently houses offices for the National Park Service and the McLoughlin Memorial Association. The Barclay House gift shop offers many hard to find books on northwest history and its pioneers, traditional toys, handcrafted goods, and other gift items.